Follow us on Facebook

Sanguszko Palace (Lubartów)

Geolocation Point

Палац Санґушків (м. Любартів)

У середині ХVI століття на цьому місці Пьотром Фірлеєм, тодішнім власником міста, був збудований замок, який мав оборонний профіль.


Słowackiego 8, 21-100 Lubartów


In the middle of the 16th century Piotr Firlej, the owner of the town, built a castle defences. In the second half of the 17th century probably another baroque palace was erected. A geometric park was built around the palace. It was supposed to be (or actually was) rebuilt by the famous Dutch architect operating in Poland, Tylman van Gameren (perhaps between 1693 and 1703). During the Great Northern War, exactly in 1705, the palace was partially destroyed.

After Lewartów came in possession of Paweł Karol Sanguszko, he decided to carry out a thorough renovation of the facility. The works lasted from 1722 to 1741 and were managed by the Italian architect Paolo Antonio Fontana, often referred to as the court architect of the Sanguszko family. A third floor was built on and a new facade (with a portico) and interior design was made. What was also built is the conservatory and a parade courtyard, consisting of outhouses, a gate with a clock tower and corner towers. At the same time, works on arranging the park were carried out. The park was given the shape of a regular French garden.

Paweł Karol Sanguszko paid great attention to works in Lewartów, since he wanted to make the palace a main seat of the family. The aforementioned request to King August III to change the name to Lubartów (with confirmation of Magdeburg right and the change of coat of arms) accepted on 22 November 1744 was a symbolic addition to these activities. Works were also carried out after the death of Paweł Karol Sanguszko (in 1750), by Barbara who was the third wife of the deceased and the eldest son from the third marriage of Duke Józef Paulin Sanguszko. Within these activities, the palace was modernized between 1757 and 1775.

After the unexpected death of Józef Paulin in 1781 Lubartów passed to his younger brothers Hieronim Jan and Janusz Modest. Initially, the brothers were managing the estate together. It was the younger Janusz Modest who ruled Lubartów until his death in 1806. The property was later inherited by his two sons and daughter Klementyna. She was doing all her best to take a good care of the residence. The palace was renovated. The courtyard buildings were removed and the park was rearranged in an English garden style (approx. in 1830).

The building was finally rebuilt in 1950-1970. The park also underwent several renovations in the post war period.  Currently the palace is the seat of the local authorities of Lubartów county.

Keeping the shape of the Sanguszko times, the palace in Lubartów is the best preserved memory of this distinguished family. The park and conservatory have also survived to this day.

Useful information for tourists


Stara Laznia (17, Gen. Orlicz-Dreszera Str., Lubartów).

Restaurant in the Bramie (14, Rynek I Str., Lubartów).

Restaurant Zielony Por (9, Jana Pawła II Str., Lubartów).

Vietnamese restaurant PHÚC PHÚC (79, Lubelska Str., Lubartów).

Restaurant Złota Grota (138, Lubelska Str., Lubartów).



Stara Laznia (17, Gen. Orlicz-Dreszera Str., Lubartów).

Hotel Wincentow (28A, Wincentow Str., Lubartów (along the road no. 19).